When you hire a professional to provide home care for your senior loved ones, you expect them to look after your loved ones’ safety. The aged care provider will be at home with your senior family member to provide assistance and some level of independence. While there are some standard protocols that trained providers of private home care services abide by, it is important to be reminded about other practical safety measures.
Below are some of the ways to enhance safety for your senior loved ones that are receiving home care:
• Assess the needs of the senior being cared for. A professional home care assistant should know that every senior has unique requirements. Therefore, it is important to know their needs to provide care accordingly. Some seniors are able to stand and walk on their own, while others require full assistance to stay mobile. For seniors who are able to walk on their own, you still need to supervise them to make sure that they are not in danger while walking around the house. Do not leave them to wander without supervision.
• The kitchen and bathroom are two areas in the house that prove to be risky for senior individuals. Hence, they should never be allowed to go into the bathroom or kitchen without assistance.
• In the kitchen, always secure all knives and sharp objects in the drawer or their proper container. They should not be left hanging around on the counter tops. The same goes for all kitchen wares, dishes and any object that could be broken. Click here Aarcare
• Always use non-slip rubber mats on the door of the bathroom and inside the bathroom. This will provide extra security for the seniors when they step onto the mat. A rubber bottom will grip onto the floor such that slippery floors can be dealt with safely. The services of a professional providing aged care Melbourne has to offer will come in handy in looking after a senior’s safety. But for homeowners, it might be a good idea to remodel the bathroom and make it senior-proof.
• Aside from non-slip rubber mats, a grab bar is one of the most basic safety features to have at home. Again, you can have grab bars built in various places inside the house, not just in the bathroom. This is an important tool for safety for seniors who want to live more independently.
• A senior home care assistant can also take small measures to increase the safety of seniors at home. For instance, it is important to constantly check for any loose cables or wires that could get in the way of the seniors. This will avoid them from unnecessarily tripping on these wires, especially since most seniors have limited vision; hence, they won’t be able to easy clearly if there are wires or cables on their path.
The safety and health of your senior loved ones are your main concern. If you hire someone to look after them at home while you are away, you have to be at peace with your choice. For the best in aged care Victoria has to offer, go to http://arcare.com.au/home-care-services/. This is one of the most reliable service providers catering to your senior loved ones’ needs in Melbourne or anywhere in Victoria.